- Interview: Director Arvin Chen on 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?'
- This week in cinemas: 'That Demon Within' (Hong Kong)
- GCFF 2014 on now!
- This week in cinemas: 'The Raid 2'
- Enchanting Shadows: The Films of the Shaw Brothers
- Giveaway: Tickets to see 'The Raid 2' (Closed)
- This week in cinemas: 'The Wind Rises' (Japan, anime)
- More King Hu screening in Canberra
- This week in cinemas: 'From Vegas to Macau' (Hong Kong)
- Giveaway: Tickets to see 'The Wind Rises' in cinemas! (closed)
- This week in cinemas: 'The Monkey King' (3D, China)
Reviews by Country
Screening in both Sydney and Melbourne at this year’s KOFFIA festival, Shim’s Family is a character drama with bits of ensemble comedy sticking out. Or perhaps it’s the other way around. South Korean director Jeong Yoon-Chul presents us with a darkly funny look at the chaotic life of a small family (the film’s other English title is Skeletons in the Closet), shot through with the occasional rapid shifts in mood that I’ve come to love from Korean cinema.
Yong-sun … (read more)
Don’t say the title didn’t warn you. Provided you are willing to give yourself over to this shamelessly manipulative fluff, you’re in for a very emotional experience indeed. But, surprisingly, even if you’re too cynical to take it seriously (and for that you wouldn’t need to be very cynical at all, to be honest) there’s still much to love about Sad Movie.
I’ve heard once or twice from individuals better travelled than I that Koreans are the best looking … (read more)