- This week in cinemas: 'The Golden Era' (China/HK)
- This month in cinemas: The Tale of Studio Ghibli Showcase (Japan)
- This week in cinemas: 'Flirting in the Air' (Hong Kong)
- Vladivostok: the final frontier
- JFF 2014
- This week in cinemas: 'The Admiral: Roaring Currents' (South Korea)
- This week in cinemas: 'The Grandmaster' (Hong Kong/China)
- Korean Film Festival in Australia 2014
- This week in cinemas: 'The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom' (China, 3D)
Reviews by Country
Screening in both Sydney and Melbourne at this year’s KOFFIA festival, Shim’s Family is a character drama with bits of ensemble comedy sticking out. Or perhaps it’s the other way around. South Korean director Jeong Yoon-Chul presents us with a darkly funny look at the chaotic life of a small family (the film’s other English title is Skeletons in the Closet), shot through with the occasional rapid shifts in mood that I’ve come to love from Korean cinema.
Yong-sun … (read more)
Don’t say the title didn’t warn you. Provided you are willing to give yourself over to this shamelessly manipulative fluff, you’re in for a very emotional experience indeed. But, surprisingly, even if you’re too cynical to take it seriously (and for that you wouldn’t need to be very cynical at all, to be honest) there’s still much to love about Sad Movie.
I’ve heard once or twice from individuals better travelled than I that Koreans are the best looking … (read more)