- This week in cinemas: 'Miracle in Cell No. 7' (South Korea)
- Giveaway: 'Tai Chi 0' on DVD and Blu-Ray (Closed)
- This week in cinemas: ‘Drug War’ (China/HK)
- Mountains and monsters @ GoMA QLD
- Melbourne: Asian Cinema at the MQFF
- QLD news - GCFF and Supanova on again!
- This week in cinemas: 'Journey to the West' (China, 3D)
Reviews by Country
The Raid opens nationwide on the 22nd of March. Check Madman’s site for more details.
Director Gareth Evans and newly-minted action star Iko Uwais have followed up their 2009 martial arts flick Merantau with this hard-edged action film, and Madman have been good enough to bring it to cinemas nationwide! The last big action movie I remember them doing a cinema release for in Australia was Ong Bak, a logical point of comparison for this one — both come … (read more)
It seems that every time I read or hear anything about Merantau, the new action film from Indonesia, it is invariably being compared with the Thai martial arts classic Ong Bak. Having just seen Merantau myself, I can certainly appreciate some similarities between the 2 films, in particular the starring of an unknown actor who has amazing fighting skills, combining speed, agility and fearlessness to wow the audience. However, there are also quite a lot of very obvious … (read more)